Thursday, February 05, 2009

Hong Kong Trip Part V

We switched things up a bit on Wednesday morning. Rather than venturing out of my own while Finn napped, we talked with my parents on Skype.

Talking to Grandma
Talking to Grandma and Grandpa


Skype is just one of the biggest differences between my sister's 2 year stint in Hong Kong and the 2 years my parents lived in Hong Kong before I was born. My parents talked to my grandmother once on the phone during those 2 years, and she had to save up for that phone call. Monte, Matt, and Finn videoconference with us and with Matt's family almost weekly for free. I was not surprised to see that Finn's teeth were coming in because I saw them on Skype a week before my visit.

Most of Wednesday was spent on Victoria Peak. We grabbed some sandwiches before catching the tram and picnicked up at the top. I'm told that the pollution was low and the visibility was pretty good for the winter.

View from Victoria Peak
This is a relatively clear day in Hong Kong during February

During the winter, winds from out of the north bring China's pollution to Hong Kong, but a combination of the Chinese New Year and the global economic downturn have shuttered enough factories recently to make a visible difference in air quality.

For the first time on my visit, I actually got a bit chilly. The wind was strong on the north side of the peak, so it felt good to step into a Pacific Coffee after our walk. This place had the best view of any coffeehouse I've ever visited. Many a Sunday afternoon are spent with Monte and Finn walking around the peak while Matt is grading papers at this Pacific Coffee.

At Pacific Coffee on Victoria Peak
Finn is scheming how to get his hands on his Momma's mocha.

On the way home from Victoria Peak, we stopped at the Chestnut man's cart near their apartment for some roasted chestnuts and a sweet potato. The chestnuts smell great, nice and smokey, but the taste leaves something to be desired. The sweet potato, on the other hand, was magnificent.

Chestnut Vendor


Monte has plans to start a food blog about cooking in a cramped kitchen. Their apartment has forced her to be creative. This former professional baker now is reduced to two burners, one toaster oven, a microwave, and a rice cooker. Oh, and the washing machine/clothes dryer (an all-in-one machine) is also in the kitchen.

Cramped Kitchen
Yes, this is the entire kitchen. I was standing with my back against the door to take this picture.

A good cook is never at the mercy of their equipment, and sure enough she has been able to create wonderful meals here. Dinner on this night was something one might expect from a Hong Kong kitchen; pork dumplings, slaw, tea.

Pork Dumplings
Ummmmm, pork dumplings!

Dessert was brownies steamed using the rice cooker. They were almost like a dense chocolate pudding, only better. We ate our steamed brownies while watching the first episode of season 3 of the Greatest-Show-In-The-History-Of-Television. This is Matt and Monte's first time through The Wire, so I had a hard time avoiding giving them spoilers as we discussed the episode. It was a great way to end the day.

The rest of the pictures from my trip can be found on my flickr site.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I tried some roasted chestnuts while in Switzerland, and they were disgusting. I am not sure why anyone would want to eat them.

Anonymous said...

Chip, I'm really glad you did these updates--now I have a record of your visit too! And I love all the pictures you took. Thanks for coming!

Chip said...

Jon - that seems to be a fairly universal response to roasted chestnuts. They do seem to be popular in Asia and in our Christmas songs.

Monte - I have been writing these with the idea of having a record of the trip I could revisit in 10 years. By tomorrow, I plan to have the blogged about the rest of the trip. I had a wonderful time seeing all of you and exploring your new city!

Anonymous said...

We had roasted chestnuts in the stuffing for our Christmas goose this year and it was wonderful! We thought it added a lot. I also sampled some chestnut soup at Whole Foods this fall and it was pretty tasty I must say. Thanks Chip for recording your trip. It has us really excited about our upcoming trip! Frieda